Database Management System
Database Management System (DBMS) is designed to store and manage user’s data. Through this, data can be stored easily and then they can be easily accessed selectively. Examples of DBMS are MySQL, Microsoft Access, SQL Server etc.
What is Database?
Before understanding database management system, we have to understand what is database? Database is a collection of data. This data is sometimes related and sometimes it is associated with the child parent form and sometimes it is from a completely different domain. That is, in total, many types of data are stored in the DBMS, which are later used to classify, class, branch, etc.
History Of DBMS
The DBMS was designed for the first time in 1960 by Charles Bachmann. In the year 1970, IBM ie International Business Machine launched its own DBMS, named Information Management System (IMS). The DBMS ER model was defined by Peter Chan in the year 1976.
The year 1991 was a revolutionary year for DBMS, till now it had undergone many changes in 1980 and 1985 based on relation model and object orientation. But the big change came in 1991 that Microsoft launched its own DBMS Microsoft Access.
DBMS was connected to the Internet in 1995. And in 1997 there was a change in DBMS which we still see today. That is, in DBMS, the use of XML.
Advantages of DBMS
There are many advantages and features of a database management system. The advantages and features of these are as follows:
- It is a kind of secure management system and it also removes unnecessary processes. That is, if you want to access any information, then you will not have to check the entire data. In today’s time, we find it very easy, due to the design of DBMS. Whereas this was not the case before.
- Data in a DBMS can be viewed multiple times, and can be viewed by many different people.
- The nature of DBMS is self describe. That is, it not only protects the data, as well as its relation to other information, and its type and subtype, all these can also be stored by the DBMS.
In DBMS, NTTs and their relationships can be easily stored through tables which seem to be a common theme, but this feature proves to be a boon in saving time when accessing information.
Types Of DBMS
The data stored in a DBMS is of different types, some of it may be call records or bill of expenses, some may also be customer purchase information. Four types of DBMS are used to store different types of data. They are of four types, Heirarchical, Network, Relational, Object Oriented.
Let us know about them in detail.
- Hierarchical Database: In hierarchical database, the data is arranged like a tree and its branches. In this parent child format is used. For example, one information is the parent information, followed by the child information, followed by their child information. In this database, an information parent can have multiple children, but a child cannot have multiple information parents.
- Network Database Model: This model is exactly like the hierarchical model, but child information can also have multiple parent information.
- Relational Model (RDBMS): This model is one of the most used models of DBMS. In this, the data is easily arranged with the help of rows and columns.
- Object Oriented Model: Under this model data is kept in the form of objects. And class is used to divide those objects. Different data is kept in different classes. In this both data members and operations are stored.
Uses of Database Management System –
Database Management System is used to store and manage important data in different sectors.
- Banking: Database management system is used in banking to store data of customer information, deposit debit information, account activity and loan etc.
- University: Database Management System is used in educational institutions to store data from roll number to result of students.
- Telecommunication: DBMS is used for call record, bill maintenance in the telecommunication sector.
- Sales: From customer information to purchase records, it is stored with the help of a database management system.
- DBMS – Database Management System.
- DBMS was first created in 1960 by Charles Bachmann.
- The name of IBM’s DBMS is Information Management System – IMS. It was made in the year 1970.
- The name of Microsoft’s DBMS is MS Access. It was made in the year 1991.
- Internet-connected DBMS were used for the first time in 1995.
- There are four types of DBMS. Hierarchical Database Management System, Network Database Management System, Relational Database Management System, Object Oriented Database Management System.
- Out of the four types of DBMS, RDBMS ie Relational Database Management System is the most used.
- DBMS is used in different sectors like Banking, Airline, University, Telecommunications, Finance, Sales, Production and Management etc.
- DBMS is mainly considered better than flat file management system.
- Examples of database management systems: MySQL, Microsoft Access, Oracle, DBase, MariaDB, FoxPro.
So friends, this was DBMS i.e. all the information related to Database Management System. Database Management System has made our job much easier. If we talk about the price, it is very expensive, but it is so helpful that other companies and institutions use it above its substitutes like flat file management system.